This Tool guides you through defining the change leadership roles needed for your change effort and clarifies the responsibilities and deliverables of each. We recommend seven key roles, each of which may be tailored for your unique circumstances.
This work is part of the larger CLR Task: Clarify and Staff Initial Change Leadership Roles (Task I.A.2). Change leadership roles should be identified at the beginning of the project. Depending on the magnitude and type of your project, you may not need all seven roles.
You will be guided through the process of defining the change leadership roles and responsibilities that you do need for your change effort. The first two lessons educate and inform you about the timing, benefits and process you will use. The next lesson describes the seven roles and their typical responsibilities and deliverables. They include a worksheet to guide you in identifying how the role will function in your change effort. Review all the roles described in this Tool to gain a comprehensive understanding of their interrelationship in responsibilities and deliverables before completing the worksheets. This will also help you determine which roles you need.
The assigned Change Process Leader, Project Manager and / or Change Consultant should be the people to complete this Tool. It is not advisable to have the leadership team do it for themselves.
Note: All links open in a new browser tab. Return to this tab to continue your work here. Download all your worksheets and save them to a folder on your computer before you begin to complete them. If you try to complete a worksheet in the browser window, all of your edits will be lost.
- Worksheet 1: Sponsor Role, Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Worksheet 2: Executive Team Role, Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Worksheet 3: Change Leadership Team Role, Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Worksheet 4: Change Process Leader Role, Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Worksheet 5: Change Initiative Lead Role, Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Worksheet 6: Change Project Team Role, Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Worksheet 7: Change Consultant Role, Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Worksheet 8: Using Change Leadership Role Descriptions